The Number of People

Survey Questions (results based on 30 random locals):

What kind of water bottles do you prefer to use?

How often does your household purchase disposable plastic water bottles?

There is a growing concern that we are using too many disposable water bottles. The core of this issues lies with the consumers. How often were people purchasing and using disposable water bottles? This question forms the base of the problem. The goal is to have a minimal consumer dependency towards disposable water bottles. If this can be achieved, it will not matter as much where they are being sold as consumers will not be as inclined to purchase them.

Diagram 1: Preferred Type of Water Bottle

The survey results showed that most citizens of Ottawa were environmentally conscious and prefer reusable water bottles over disposable ones. Two-thirds of the population surveyed replied that they strictly preferred using reusable water bottles. This shows we’re off to a good start. People have begun to move off a dependency on disposable water bottles which paves the way toward a cleaner future.

Graph 2: How often citizens are purchasing disposable water bottles

Graph 2: How often citizens are purchasing disposable water bottles

About 45% of the citizens queried in the survey said they “never” bought disposable water bottles. That is a hopeful sign, yet we can do better. The other 55% of the answers ranged from occasionally, to frequent. If we can work on reducing the number of people purchasing disposable water, we can prevent more and more plastic from polluting our environment. A recommendation to help achieve this goal is to make sure water fountains are plentiful and maintained. There is nothing better than a dirty or partially broken water fountain to deter somebody from public drinking water. As well, stores and vending machines should stop flaunting bottled water as a star product in their array of drinks. If vendors tone down their advertising a bit, we can help stop many bottles of water from being sold at “market prices”.

It is also important to note that when taking these results into account, one must keep in mind that this question was relative based on one’s definition of the scale. The 2nd graph shows a representation of the populace’s habits in purchasing disposable water bottles and portrays a positive image, yet one must take into account a potential margin of error based on varying assessments of one’s habits.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s